Friday, September 30, 2011

Am I living in a cartoon?

The Flintstones is a TV cartoon show from my youth. Fred Flintstone worked at a quarry mining stones while sitting on top of a brontosaurus that picked up the stones in its mouth.

Now I find myself watching the action again... from my balcony.

There is a crew of demolition workers leveling the old stores and restaurants from the property beside my condo building. They are almost done, but there is one bit of the old buildings that is not going anywhere soon - an old safe.

So on Thursday, while finishing up breakfast, we heard and felt loud thuds. We knew the demolition workers were about to get rid of some large stones from the site, so we figured they were being put into the dumpster that had been driven on to the site that morning.

Well, they were moving the stones, but it wasn't putting them into the truck. They were lifting one of the stones with their machine with a shovel, and dropping it on top of the safe!

It didn't work. The safe seems to be as solid as ever. In an earthquake, the safe would be fine. In a cartoon show, the safe still seems to be fine.

Am I living in a cartoon show now? Is reality slipping from me? Or did the guy with the machine with the shovel watch too many Flintstone episodes when he was a child?

No comments: