Friday, August 22, 2008

Why is there an elephant in my dream?

I'm having a bit of a sleep-in one morning and I start having a dream. I'm on a bus going somewhere, I'm not sure where, and then I decide to get off the bus because I really didn't want to go where the bus is going. Once off the bus, I'm in a suburban neighborhood, I don't know where. I realize that was a bloody stupid thing to do, because I don't know where I am and now I'm stuck there. So I start walking down the sidewalk, and then this little (only as tall as me) baby elephant rushes up to me and tells me to move off the sidewalk. He head-butts me off the sidewalk and onto some grass.

The elephant was my height, still had some of the fluffy tufts of hair that baby elephants have... and spoke English.

So now that I'm fully awake, I realize that I'm very cold and I need to go get another blanket.

I find it extremely odd that my body has found a way to stop a dream and wake me up by simply making my dreams go odd past the limit of credulity. "That doesn't make any sense" is a feeling I've had many times when I've awoken after dreaming.

So is it just me? Do I need to do dream research on the meaning of baby elephants that appear in dreams... speaking English? Am I going a bit odd? Do I really need to just relax and let dreams go to odd places, because that's what dreams are supposed to do?

The thing is... every time I wake up from a dream because it didn't make sense, there is a good reason for waking up. Either I forgot to do something, and I remember it when I wake up, or I'm cold and need more blankets, or I'm sleeping in an awkward position and need to move, or something like that.

I just don't know if this elephant is a good thing, or something to worry about.

I guess I'll have to sleep on that.

No comments: