Friday, July 24, 2009

Does mint ever die?

Last year I chronicled the battle between bachelor buttons and mint in a plant pot out on my balcony. I didn't think any of the seeds would produce plants, but I had an early showing from the bachelor buttons, and a final winning blow from the mint. 

Battle Plant went to the mint.

And I've still got the mint. Lots of it. I've cut it all down and covered the roots with more soil twice now. And it always grows back. The problem is, it's not very tasty mint. I don't want to eat it anymore.

There are some very tasty mint varieties, spearmint is highly recommended, peppermint is ok, but there are many other options. I'm not sure which one I've got - I lost the package the seeds came in - but it's not one of the tasty ones.

So now what do I do? I don't have problems tossing dead plants out - they are by definition degradable into soil, and they are dead, so they should be sent on their way to degrade. But this plant won't die! If I toss it, will there be a wild strain of mint taking over an old landfill site in the future? Will I be creating a monster?

Stanley Park is host to many groups that volunteer time to remove invasive plants from the park that are killing the trees. English Ivy is not native to the park, but it is everywhere, and it will choke the trees if left to grow. I'm not sure where the Ivy originally came from, but it's now a menace.

Will my mint be a menace for a future park? How do I kill a plant that won't die without using toxic chemicals? I'm currently not watering it, hoping it will wither and die, but will it come back as a monster if I toss it when it has withered away?

Life, don't talk to me about life.

No comments: