Thursday, July 30, 2009

How hot is it?

After experiencing a rare electrical storm last Saturday - something that only happens every 5 years or so - yesterday we had the hottest day ever on record for Vancouver: 36 degrees Celsius or so. It's noon and 29 degrees Celsius right now, which feels like 35 degrees Celsius with the humidity, and it will get hotter this afternoon. The average for this time of year is 23 degrees Celsius, and we consider that a nice hot summer day.

I'm melting.

Vancouver is now populated by zombies. Forget the flesh-eating, slow-moving un-dead, we now have the cold-drink-guzzling, slowest-moving-ever, sleep-deprived, not-enough-energy-to-argue humans.

I want to shave my head.

Hair in Vancouver is limp and drenched with sweat. The bags under everyone's eyes, the sweat under their armpits, and the cold drink sweating in their hands is the defining mark of a Vancouver resident today.

BRB, I need to get some water.

It was 40 degrees Celsius on our balcony yesterday afternoon, it's enclosed, but we had the windows wide open. If there had been any air movement, it would have moved through, but there wasn't, so it didn't. The basil may have given up. The dill, coriander, and chervil have gone to seed. The mint may actually be dead! All of these plants are Mediterranean, but they can't take this heat either.

Maybe a cold shower would help.

Ever want to climb into your freezer? Ice packs are great, but they warm up too. Instead of an electrical heating blanket, does anyone make an ice blanket?

I like my winters rainy enough to make me miss the summer, and my summers hot enough that I miss the winter. Achieved. Check. Done. Move on. Get along little doggie. Mush. Off we go. Vamoose. (why does my spellchecker know how to spell vamoose?) Bring on the rain!

No comments: