Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Is that green? Or is that green?

I've finally taken possession of my manual wheelchair (the power wheelchair is coming later) and not much of it is in colour, but what colour there is, is definitely green! See the image! It's a colour called "toxic green".

My only regret is that the rest of it is a rather depressing black. I don't really want to be in stealth mode when in the chair - people will have enough trouble seeing me down here without my trying to make myself more invisible. But none of the other components come in colour. Oh well, it's better than the free loaner from the Red Cross, which really wasn't quite the right size for me.

The chair works wonderfully. It's significantly better having a chair custom made to my measurements - and my spouse's measurements too, he's the one who helps by pushing, so his hand height was measured! We took it out on Sunday for a trip around the Stanley Park Seawall. I can push much more now that I have a chair that fits me - more exercise for me, which is fabulous!

As a celebratory dinner we had fish & chips on the beach. Rain City Grill is a very good restaurant just on the edge of English Bay Beach, and it has a takeout window just for fish & chips for people who want to eat and watch the sun set. All of the packaging is biodegradable and the forks are made from bamboo, so you can dispose of the packaging in one of the garbage cans on the beach without feeling too guilty. And the fish is extremely well prepared! Yum! This kind of experience is why we moved to Vancouver... well, not the wheelchair part, but the seawall and beach part for sure, and now I can be back there again! Yay!

No comments: