Sunday, February 28, 2010

Do we all know the words to Oh Canada now?

The crowds are singing our national anthem. This is because our athletes have just won another gold medal in the Olympics.

I am surprised. Not surprised at the winning, surprised at the knowing of the words!

Until now most Canadians didn't sing the national anthem. There was no real reason to, and most people would mumble in the middle if they were pressed into singing it.

A born Canadian who has lived here all my life... I know most of the words, and can muddle through the rest, but the words have changed since I learned them in school, and I learned half of them in French (the ones in the middle that get mumbled the most) and I don't speak French, so they did not mean that much to me when I learned them. I expect many others are in this position as well.

But the crowds that have been occupying Vancouver's downtown core for 2 weeks actually have spontaneously broken out singing Oh Canada! Many times!

And the athletes are singing Oh Canada when they win the gold - many have been captured on film doing it. They know the words!

And the crowds in the stands are singing Oh Canada! They know the words!

Everyone seems to know the words! This is an amazing change that has happened within my lifetime!

No comments: