Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Are there more odors down here?


It's been a while since I've ventured into busy downtown Vancouver during the lunch hour on a weekday, but I needed to go out today and it was about that time, so I steered my wheelchair slowly through the crowds to get to my destination. While driving I noticed a plethora of odors in the crowds. So am I being very sensitive, or are there more odors down here at sitting level?

The perfumes were extreme - both from people and from the shops that sold perfume. The oddest thing of late is that the men are wearing more perfume than the women! Seriously doused males wreaking to the max! Who are the advertisers who thought selling perfumes for men was a good idea, and how can we stop them? And why are men putting so much scent around their waists? Are they trying to attract females in wheelchairs? It isn't working.

The wreak of cancer stick cigarette smoke is always a problem, and down here at wheelchair level is worse than at standing level! On the other hand, the scent of smoke from recreational pharmaceuticals isn't that bad... and there was lots of that everywhere, not sure if I should complain about that... nah, relax, it's all good.

The sewers also have their own odors, and I'm closer to them now than I was before. Luckily I can hold my breath while I pass them, and I am as fast as your average jogger when I go at my normal outdoor speed. (I can go faster, but I reserve that for driving on the seawall when it's empty, because that IS faster.)

So there are many odors down here that I have to live with now. But I'm an adult and can understand all of the odors, what about all those children in child strollers? What are we doing to them?

Post Script: OH! That's where all the pot smoke came from! There was a marijuana rally outside the Vancouver Art Gallery - as I drove my wheelchair past it! Well, that was timing wasn't it?

No comments: