Monday, April 16, 2012

Can I use this eagle as a sundial?

Spent a day scanning stuff in for a friend to put on his website. It was a repetitive, slow, dull day.

But I had my distraction. I was listening to, and occasionally watching a webcam on an Eagle's nest.

The eagle was having a long dull day too. She occasionally got up and turned a bit, and then sat back down on the eggs. She occasionally called out - I thought she was asking for a break from her mate, so I watched when she was calling out, but no other eagle ever came.

So I noticed that the eagle had a favourite sitting position, and I wondered if it was possible to use the eagle as a sundial, so I took screen shots at noon, 3pm, and 5pm. And her shadow did move in quite the time keeping manner! Not that accurate... but probably about as good as a sundial wristwatch with a compass to align it properly.

So who won the dull day contest - her or me?


No comments: