Friday, November 20, 2009

Is this a "wrinkly reunion"?

This could be one of those "you are getting old" indicators!

I've just had a visit to an optometrist, my regular one was out of the country, so I saw his partner optometrist. She's about my age. Actually, she's exactly my age.

I noticed something that looked very familiar on her office wall. It's a bachelor's degree from the University of Alberta. I have one of those too! Looking closer (drops in the eyes to dilate the pupils make it hard to see, I'm not loosing it that quickly) she got her degree in 1989... me too!

This by itself doesn't mean we're getting older, but the fact that immediately before this we were having a discussion about hair dressing appointments and how important they were, particularly for colouring over the grey hairs... oh dear.

It's actually quite cool to run into someone with the same background. We have a lot in common. We even have the same glass frames - something you notice in an optometrist's office. But the ensuing discussion of "I can't believe it's been almost 25 years since I graduated from high school" was a bit of a stumble.

Oh dear, we are getting old. I think this was my first "wrinkly reunion". This is when people of the same age get together and discuss the indicators of the onset of age that they are experiencing... and everyone else is experiencing them too!

No comments: