Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Would anyone like me to weed while I'm down here?


On Sunday I was on the Stanley Park Seawall for the first time in years.


My husband and I took my newly-loaned manual wheelchair with us in the trunk of the car and went to the park for a bit of a roll. We do live in the West End, very close to Stanley Park, and my husband can walk to it easily, but we live up a hill. We actually live in the middle of a hill. To get out of our home you either need to go up, or you need to go down. Neither of us have the strength to roll me up the hill, and my husband has to struggle to hold on to the wheelchair going down the hill so I don't end up in a spectacular crash. So we drove to the park. We really have to find a better place to live.


The seawall is a wonderful thing. I managed to actually get some real-live exercise outside in the fresh air! It's been so long since I've been able to say I've gotten some good exercise outside. And it was a lot of fun too! I haven't smiled that much in ages.


My husband helped with course corrections, and occasionally took over pushing the chair for me. I will need to get some gloves to help with braking. It's a good thing that neither of us are control freaks, but we did break out in laughter many times as the dips in the pavement had me learning about physics - so that's gravity, huh. You can escape the gravity of a dip if you are going fast enough... that's fun. 


"Thistle!" Was something I called out once while my husband was pushing me around the lighthouse at Brockton Point. This thistle was just at the right height for me to get a whole whack of thistles stuck to me. A quick course correction, and more laughter followed. It's tough to steer while your laughing. 


While I was in the chair I noticed a lot of weeds at the side of the pavement. It made me wonder if anyone wanted me to do some weeding while I was down there. It's low to the ground, that chair.

No comments: