Thursday, October 15, 2009

Can I have one of those elevator keys?


I was in an office building with a lot of medical offices and only 2 elevators yesterday. And yes, you guessed it, one of the elevators was on service.


So when I drove my wheelchair into the one working elevator - I was the third person in, and expected other people would walk in, but not as many as would fit if we were all standing... boy was I disappointed. As many people as could jam themselves into the elevator squished into the tiny little box. They got to know each other very well.


Hey, aren't some of you sick if this is a medical building? No one breathe.


I was only going to the 2nd floor. We see death and dismemberment imminently approaching. If only the chair could levitate, I would have taken the stairs! Why didn't some of the others take the stairs... I guess those working legs are only for show (grump, grump, grump).


I did finally manage to back out of the elevator (I still need to work on the backward movements), but man... there was chaos. I can turn on a dime, but not in a full elevator, bits do stick out.


When I was on my way back down, one of the elevators was skulking darkly on the floor I was on... with still obviously only one elevator working I figured I would be waiting for a reasonably empty elevator for hours.


Then a man got out of the other elevator, which was full and going up, and said "Are you going down?" I was a bit confused, but said yes. He closed the right hand side of the elevator door on the dark elevator by hand (I didn't know those moved separately), and put a large metal key into a hole high up on the elevator door. The lights came on and he invited me into the elevator. I drove in and immediately turned the chair around. Once the door was closed the elevator started going up. He said "No, I want to go down." and put the key into a maintenance keyhole on the floor selection panel inside the elevator and pushed the lobby button. We started going down.


I like that key. I want one too!


I never knew those little holes in elevator doors had a purpose! I will look for them on other elevator doors now!


The man with the key commented on how much he liked being in total control of the elevator. I told him I had never seen anyone with so much power over the elevator as he had and that he should "use the force wisely, Luke".

No comments: