Thursday, October 8, 2009

What are sits bones?

In Yoga you are often encouraged to sit yourself down "on your sits bones". A quick google gives you back "did you mean sitz bones"? (I love it when google goes "are you silly, or did you just type that wrong?") Google does come up with definitions for "sit bones" which are correct, and at least one of them does say yoga instructors often call them "sits bones". My yoga instructors have used the term many times. A good definition I've found is:

Anatomically part of your pelvis (the ischial tuberosity, to be exact), the sit bones are quite literally the bones under the flesh of the butt that you sit on.

So you can understand why I felt a bit odd yesterday having an Occupational Therapist, a wheelchair saleswoman, and my husband all putting their hands under my "sits bones" while I sat in my new wheelchairs. One at a time, they each put their hands under my "sits bones" to test the inflation level of my seat cushion while I was sitting on each chair - that's 6 times, for those of you wondering.

I do like my air filled Roho cushion, it does work well for me on both my power and manual wheelchairs, but it does come with an initial feeling of discomfort due to all the hands that have ended up under my butt testing the inflation level!

I am sooooo glad that this wheelchair purchasing process is finished. It is exhausting and can be very uncomfortable.

No comments: