Thursday, October 1, 2009

Do you really want me to test this?


After the disastrous start to my power chair wheelchair ownership (where the chair came to a sudden, jarring stop at the bottom of a hill) the dealer wanted to know if everything had been fixed by their mechanic and if it was working properly now.

That's an invitation to do a bit of testing, now isn't it? And it wouldn't do to just take it out on a short run to ensure it works... I would have to try to break it, that's what testing is really about, finding where something breaks, not where it works.

So armed with my spouse for support in case the chair did fail, yesterday I took the chair for a reasonably easy ride down to Coal Harbour to check out some new artwork displayed by the water. That worked well.

So then we headed over to Stanley Park. It's more of a very well kept garden, rather than a wilderness area, but not all of the paths are paved. Around Lost Lagoon for instance, it's a gravel path with the occasional puddle, rocky bits, some hills, and many birds and squirrels. So of course that's where we went.

The chair did very well. I was happy. I was freezing cold in the early morning (you don't generate any heat while sitting in a chair pushing a joy stick) but the chair kept moving!

I reported back to the dealer that the chair survived the test. She was out so I just left a voice mail message with the details of the testing. I think she may listen to it more than once. She thought she should probably put me in their files as a "heavy user" for expectations of maintenance needs in the future. (This doesn't mean weight, it means the chair will be used a lot.) I think she's probably right.

She did want me to test it didn't she?

This is a picture I took of the fountain yesterday morning. Nature's Pride Flag flying high!

3971187206_28bbb5376c.jpg

No comments: