Thursday, October 22, 2009

Does this make me a Cougar?

One of the "hottest" new things seems to be dating services that match up older women (35 and up) with younger men (in their 20s). These women are called "cougars" in the local vernacular. One of the most prominent dating services actually has "cougar" in the name.

It's not meant as an offensive term, but some women seem to find the term "cougar" offensive. I just don't get that. Being called a strong, mature woman who knows what she wants and is willing to go out and get it herself is what I would consider the ultimate compliment.

I'm not single, and I'm not looking for younger men to date... my question stems from the fact that I have recently changed hair stylist, and my new stylist is only 25 and male. This is new for me.

I had to leave my old hairstylist because she was having a mid-life crisis and I couldn't deal with her mood swings anymore. She's 35, recently divorced, and has decided "trashy and stupid" is her sweet-spot for attracting new males. And the men she is attracting are what I would consider "pond scum". It strains the discussion when you frequently want to slap some sense into the woman, and it does nothing good for your hairstyle.

So I'm enjoying having this 25 year old male hairstylist. His life isn't complicated. There is no deep trauma going on anywhere. He's finding it weird that he feels like cleaning his apartment when his roommate is gone for the day and he has the place to himself. He finds it annoying that he has adult-type decisions to make now, and his parents won't give him the answers. It's such a refreshingly uncomplicated existence to hear about.

Does this mean I'm being a cougar? I'm enjoying this non-romantic type contact with a young male. It's not the dating thing, but it's nice.

No comments: