Monday, December 14, 2009

How do you have a control group in a surgical trial?

The key to a good medical trial is having a control group of patients who do not get the actual medical procedure being tested. This is a group of people who should not see any benefit to the treatment if the treatment actually works, because they didn't get the treatment. If they do see benefit, it's due to the power of their own minds convincing themselves that they are getting better (called the placebo effect).

So how does this work for a surgical trial?

I asked my Neurologist this question today. There is a new hope for MS patients called CCSVI, and I absolutely want in on it if there is a trial here in BC. So I wanted to know if I was in the control group that didn't get the surgery involved, wouldn't it be obvious that I didn't get the surgery?

She said they do placebo surgery! They cut just a little into the patients then they sew up the hole. That's not taking sugar pills instead of real medication, that's cutting into flesh! That would be soooooo annoying.

It was the first time I met this particular doctor. I've decided I don't like her. I told her that as an overriding stance on the subject, I don't like taking medicine. All medications have side effects. All medications are open to the "we thought it did this good thing, but now we know that it does that bad thing" future possibilities. She completely ignored me and suggested about 5 drugs I could take to help with this symptom or that symptom.

She did not listen to me. That means I will give her about the same respect she gave me. I will take whatever she says with a huge crystal of salt, because she doesn't listen well, and I don't think it's just me that she ignores. Her mind is closed.

For example, she said they just do a little cut, then sew it up if you get the placebo surgery. I happen to know that the patient is awake during this surgery, the patient would know if a tube is being inserted into a vein and moved up the body or not. The placebo surgery would need to be far more than a little cut.

I still want to be in a trial, even if I get the placebo surgery. It's the best chance I've heard of for real improvement in the lives of people with MS. Bring it on.

No comments: